Illinois State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka Offers Free Citizenship Assistance at Copernicus Foundation
9/12/2005 - Illinois State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka
Offers Free Citizenship Assistance at Copernicus Foundation
(Chicago, IL) - Hundreds of people seeking their U.S. citizenship have been served by Illinois State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka's "Citizenship Service Initiative," and she hopes to help hundreds more during the next scheduled workshop set for The Copernicus Foundation on Saturday, September 17 from 9am to 1pm, 5216 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago.
Implemented in 2003, 23 free workshops have been held in Polish, Italian, Asian, Greek and Hispanic communities throughout the state.
"Many people have difficulty understanding English, they don't know who to call or they might just have trouble filling out the proper forms," Topinka said. "Helping people obtain their U.S. citizenship is a wonderful thing."
Applicants need to meet the following requirements and bring appropriate materials, including application fees required by the Bureau Citizenship Immigration Services. Requirements include:
· Be a legal, permanent resident for five years or married to a US citizen for three years.
· Have an alien card (mica), Social Security Card, State ID or Drivers License.
· List of places where the applicant has lived and worked the past five years.
· List of places where the applicant has traveled to during the past five years, including month, day and year of travel.
· Information about the applicant's spouse including: name, date of birth, social security number, alien number and/or date of naturalization.
· Information about the applicant's children including: name, date of birth, social security number, alien number (if applicable)
· Information about spouses of previous marriages: date of marriage, date the marriage ended and reason for the divorce (if applicable).
· If applicable, information about any arrests: reason for the arrest, date, place and disposition. For men only: Selective Service number and date of registration.
· Although the workshop is free, the Bureau of Citizenship Immigration Services requires a $390 application fee in the form of a money order made payable to "Bureau Citizenship Immigration Services."
Additional information can be obtained by calling Charles Komosa at the Treasurer's office at 312-814-1700.
Allison Hirsch Fore
Office of the Treasurer
Judy Baar Topinka
100 W. Randolph St., Suite 15-600
Chicago, IL 60601
(312) 814-2677 Office
(312) 814-2765 Fax