|Illinois State Treasurer Topinka’s to host free Citizenship Workshop with Mid America Bank |
7/11/2006 - For immediate release Contact: John Hoffman
July 3, 2006 312-814-2997
Illinois State Treasurer Topinka’s to host free Citizenship Workshop with Mid America Bank
(Chicago, IL) - Illinois State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka’s free citizenship workshop will be held at Mid America Bank, 6401 North Harlem Ave, Chicago, Illinois 60631 on Friday, July 28. The event will run from 10am to 8pm.
"Many people don’t know where to begin, they have difficulty understanding English, they don’t know who to call or they might just have trouble filling out the proper forms," Topinka said. "That’s where our office can help. It’s a wonderful thing, helping people obtain their U.S. citizenship.”
Free, individualized assistance will be available to all participants. Reservations are strongly recommended.
Applicants must meet the following requirements and bring appropriate materials, including application fees required by the Bureau Citizenship Immigration Services. Requirements include:
• Be a legal, permanent resident for 5 years. Two passport photos.
• Have an alien card (mica), Social Security Card, State ID or Drivers License.
• List of places where the applicant has lived and worked the past 5 years.
• List of places where the applicant has traveled to during the past 5 years, including month, day and year of travel.
• Information about the applicant’s spouse including: name, date of birth, social security number, alien number and/or date of naturalization.
• Information about the applicant’s children including: name, date of birth, social security number, alien number (if applicable)
• Information about spouses of previous marriages: date of marriage, date the marriage ended and reason for the divorce (if applicable).
• If applicable, information about any arrests: reason for the arrest, date, place and disposition. For men only: Selective Service number and date of registration.
• Although the workshop is free, the Bureau of Citizenship Immigration Services requires an application fee of $400 in the form of a money order made out to “Bureau Citizenship Immigration Services.”
Additional information can be obtained by calling Charles Komosa at the Treasurer’s office at 312-814-1700 or Bonnie Roszczewski 773-594-2584.