|Information About the Organization|
Polish Museum of America (PMA)
Muzeum Polskie w Ameryce
The Polish Museum of America
984 N. Milwaukee
Chicago, IL 60622
||Incorporated, Non Profit
|State of Incorporation:
Promotes the knowledge of Polish history and culture, and especially promulgates Polish and Polish American art in its paintings, sculptures, drawings by well-known artists.
The Museum is housed in the headquarters of the Polish Roman Catholic Union. The surrounding historic neighborhood has many original buildings and churches from the pre-1900 era.
Founded in 1935 and opened to the public in 1937, the Museum offers exhibits of the art, history and culture of Poland and of the Polish-American Community. Special exhibits showcase significant examples of Polish art and culture.
Among the permanent displays is the huge painting of Casimir Pulaski at the Revolutionary War Battle of Savannah and a thirty foot high stained glass 'window' from the 1939 World's Fair. There are also displays of Polish folk costumes and Polish folk arts and crafts.
In a special room of the Museum you can view momentos of Ignacy Paderewski, Polish pianist, patriot and statesman. The display includes all the furnishings of his last apartment.
A gift shop is in the Museum and offers an excellent selection of imported amber jewelry, crystal, dolls, books, tapes and many other items.
The Polish Museum of America Library is also housed in the same building. This Library, established in 1913, contains over 60,000 volumes and is open to the casual reader as well as the serious researcher. The Library also contains material useful in genealogical study. Please call the Museum for a description of the materials available and for opening and closing times.
|Number of Members:
||Interest in Polish/Slavic culture
||Individuals and Organizations
|Primary Language at Meetings:
||984 N. Milwaukee Ave. Chicago, IL 60622
Recurring Special Events:
Annual Summer Ball, Bi-Annual Benefit Event and regular schedule of exhibits, workshops, lectures, concerts and author's nights.
Officers and Directors:
- Director - Romuald Matuszczak
- Director - Kenneth Widelka
- Executive Board Chairman - Wallace M. Ozog
- Vice-Chairman - Anna Sokolowski
- Director - Maja Latallo
- Director - Sabina P. Logisz
- Director - Josephine Szarowicz
- Director - Betty Uzarowicz
- Director - Felicia Krupinski
- Director - Thaddeus Makarewicz
- Director - Alice Robaczewski
- Director - Lillian Stempinski
- Director - John Tylka
- Director - Mary Jane Robles
- Director - Kevin Ryba
- Director - Jola Santocka
- President - Maria Ciesla
- Vice President - Mary Anselmo
- Vice-President - Virginia Sikora
- Secretary - Jennifer L. Crissey
- Treasurer - Camille Kopielski
- General Counsel - Joan Smuda
- Director/Curator - Jan M. Lorys
- Operations Manager - Richard Kujawa
- Head Librarian - Malgorzata Kot
- Archivist - Halina Misterka
- Registrar - Barbara Mirecki
- Director - Robert Bielenda
- Director - Janina Bleka
- Director - John Borkowski
- Director - Joseph P. Boruta
- Director - Teresa Buckner
- Director - Jacek Chaba
- Director - Beata Debek
- Director - Shirley Dudzinski
- Director - Alicia Dutka
- Director - Robert Flor
- Director - Ken Gill
- Director - Krystyna Godzinski
- Director - Edward Grodecki, Jr PhD.
- Director - Edmund Gronkiewicz
- Director - Lucille Gutowski
- Director - Edmund Iwanski
- Director - Stephanie Jagielski
- Director - Joan Kosinski
Additional Office Locations:
The Polish Museum of America, 984 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, IL 60622-4101, USA
Contact: Jan Lorys
Phone: 773-384-3352 Fax: 773-384-3799
Last Updated: 8/28/2007