|Information About the Organization|
Lira Singers/Dancers/Symphony/Chamber Chorus/Children's Chorus
6525 N. Sheridan Road, #CH-LL
Chicago, IL 60626
||Incorporated, Non Profit
|State of Incorporation:
|Tax Exempt Status:
||501c3 - Religious, charitable, scientific, literary or educational purposes
The mission of the Lira Ensemble is to bring the best of Polish Culture into American life, to help acquaint Polish Americans with the richness of their thousand-year-old heritage of music and dance, and to help other Americans learn about and appreciate Polish culture and traditions.
The Lira Ensemble is the nation's only professional performing arts company specializing in Polish music, song, and dance. The name of the company, "lira," is the Polish word for "lyre," a traditional symbol of music. The Ensemble's five performing groups present the music of Poland, sung in the original language, and Polish folk and court dances, with narratives in English, so that all audiences can fully enjoy the presentations. The narratives tell about the music and dance presented, explain Polish traditions and customs, and give insights into Polish history and the Polish-American immigrant experience. Lira performances also include authentic American music, in order to introduce immigrant audiences to various aspects of American culture and to truly reflect Polish-American heritage.
The Lira Ensemble is unique in that the company performs all kinds of Polish music and dance, including popular and folk songs and dances, traditional court dances, as well as serious music -- Polish opera, ancient Polish music, sacred music, music of various historic periods, new music of Poland, works by Polish-American composers, and Polish compositions rarely heard in the United States.
THE LIRA COMPANY CONSISTS OF:
THE LIRA SINGERS, the female ensemble which is the core of the company, is made up of eight to fourteen young women, and is one of the few professional, fine arts female vocal groups in the Midwest. The Singers perform in authentic, colorful folk garb from various regions of Poland, in period gowns, or in traditional concert dress, depending on the music performed.
THE LIRA SYMPHONY is made up of sixty instrumentalists who accompany the Lira vocal groups at major concerts and also perform orchestral works. Members of the Lira Orchestra are some of the best instrumentalists in the Chicago area who also perform with major orchestras in the region, such as the Orchestra of the Lyric Opera and the Grant Park Symphony.
THE LIRA DANCERS is the nation's only professional dance company specializing in Polish folk and court dance. Created in 1994, the Dancers perform suites of dances from several regions of Poland in colorful, authentic costumes from these regions, as well as dances performed in the royal court and manor houses of Poland, presented in historically correct period costumes.
THE LIRA CHAMBER CHORUS consists of the female ensemble plus eight to twelve male singers. All singers employed by Lira are classically trained; nearly all hold music degrees, often masters degrees in music. Many are teachers of music; some are also members of the Chicago Symphony Chorus and the Chorus of the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
THE LIRA CHILDREN'S CHORUS - "Dzieci" was added in 1987 as a community chorus of boys and girls, ages 7 through 16. "Dzieci" is the Polish word for "children". The children receive vocal training and performance opportunities, singing Polish and American repertoire. Most members of the Children's Chorus come from families recently immigrated from Poland.
|Last Fiscal Year End:
|Sources of Revenue:
|Financial Statements Audited:
|Grants Previously Received:
||The National Endowment for the Arts
The Illinois Arts Council
The Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs
|Projects For Volunteers:||Volunteers assist at concerts and events.|
Officers and Directors:
- Advisory Board Member - Richard Rodzinski
- Advisory Board Member - Wanda Wilk
- Co-Founder, Artistic Director and General Manager - Lucyna Migala
- Chairman - Donald Grabowski
- Vice Chairman - Frank A. Cizon
- Board Member - Maria Ciesla
- Board Member - Bernard J. Dobroski
- Board Member - Camille Einoder
- Board Member - Camille Kopielski
- Board Member - Eileen Mackevich
- Board Member - Lewis F. Matuszewich
- Board Member - Lucyna Migala
- Board Member - Jeanine T. Okonek
- Board Member - Mira Puacz
- Board Member - Matt L. Rodriguez
- Board Member - Eleanore Ryan
- Board Member - Bernard R. Tresnowski
- Board Member - Frances Wiet
- Leadership Board Chairman - Ernest Wish
- Leadership Board Member - Bishop Thad J. Jakubowski
- Leadership Board Member - Wayne Magdziarz
- Advisory Board Member - Margaret Burroughs
- Leadership Board Member - Wallace Ozog
- Leadership Board Member - Bishop Thomas Paprocki
- Leadership Board Member - Virginia Sikora
- Leadership Board Member - Maynard Wishner
- Artistic Advisor - Krzystof Penderecki
- Artistic Advisor - Henryk Gorecki
- Artistic Advisor - Daniel Pollack
- Artistic Advisor - Marta Ptaszynska
- Artistic Advisor - Stefan Stuligrosz
- Advisory Board Member - Grazyna Auguscik
- Advisory Board Member - L. Jessica Jagielnik
- Advisory Board Member - Ada Dziewanowska
- Advisory Board Member - Jan Lorys
- Advisory Board Member - Maria Lorys
- Advisory Board Member - Estelle Migala
- Advisory Board Member - Eloise Niwa
- Advisory Board Member - David Pituch
Last Updated: 5/23/2007